Thursday, October 28, 2010
Motivation Educational Issue
The presentation was very useful for me when considering techniques I can use in my classroom to motivate my students. I have never really thought about using games in the classroom, as I have never really played games and feel like there is not educational merit. However, using the links provided I came across some websites which have many video games which incorporate trivia and background knowledge. I found myself playing a game about the construction of a pyramid, and depending on how you constructed it would determine how successful it was. I think that these are good SUPPLEMENTS, but should not be the lesson. As a teacher, I would feel comfortable using these methods, providing that I would take time to explain the importance of the material and how it relates. That way students aren't just playing video games, they're learning about the material as well. One of the stages where we discussed scenarios about behavior problems in the classroom due to lack of motivation gave me a good idea of how to handle common problems that arise in the classroom. I feel that it is important not to immediately discipline a student for acting out, making a joke or other comments, but to try and make a teachable moment out of it, where the students can learn. Overall I feel the presentation was great and I truly learning a lot through taking part in all three of the stations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment