Thursday, October 28, 2010
Discipline Educational Issue
I really enjoyed the presentation on discipline. The activities allowed me to reflect on my experiences as a student as I thought back to how my classrooms were disciplined and what techniques worked and didn't work. I found that my discipline style was more on the authoritative side, meaning that I value clear expectations and student independence and accountability. When it comes to punishment, the authoritative style recognizes the negative behavior and thinks through how to deal with it, and sticks by the expectations but is not too harsh in punishment. I felt that this was true for my view on discipline, but before the presentation I had not really thought about it too deeply. The skits we performed really helped me understand the types of discipline there are, and which forms I am comfortable with. The essay does a good job of explaining the problems with discipline in schools today, and this was revealed during the presentation in the texts that we looked over in our table groups. The best part was that it was not told to us by the presenters, it was explored and explained through the class as a result of the activities. This presentation was very helpful as I develop my philosophy of education.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment