Idealism is the belief that ideas and concepts are important to know. The physical world is not perfect and a figment of what we think about, while the spiritual world is "reality" and perfect. Idealists value that knowledge and ideas are continuous through time, and are constant. Because of this idealists value the content in education that is unchanging, like figures and the humanities. Idealists believe that learning is done best using dialogue led with questions from the teacher to challenge beliefs.
Realism is almost the opposite. It places value in reality and the physical world as the basis for knowledge and scientific investigation. Unlike Idealism, Realists believe that truth can be found in the physical world. Experience, reasoning, and experimentation is valued.
Pragmatism believes in change and a dynamic universe, and in a state of growth, and the idea of valuing experiences. Since they believe that the world is always changing, students need to be able to question and rethink to keep up with the changing world.
Existentialists believe that reality is just lived existence, there is no meaning, basically life is what you make it as an individual. Knowledge should be personal and all about the individual and the human condition. They believe that schools should center on the student and help them achieve self-actualization, and treat the students as individuals.
I believe that I am a combination between realist/idealist. There are aspects of both that I find I show. I like having discussion based lecture. I like having my students think about concepts and questions which may have no definite answers as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment