Thursday, September 23, 2010

Teaching Hope: Engagement

It was a little easier reading these passages than it was reading any of the ones in the last section of Teaching Hope. However, there were quite a few passages that were sad to read. Many of them dealt with students who faced racial prejudice. Everyone who I read about handled it courageously though. The journal idea that was used many times in this section of the book sounds like something I would like to somehow incorporate into my classroom. It gives students a chance to reflect on things going on in their lives, and gives me the unique opportunity to find out things about my students that I might normally never know. I believe this section of the book is called Engagement because it discussed what teachers have done to get their students engaged and more involved in the classroom. In some of the passages, the teachers have done it on a one on one level, while others addressed issues in a full class discussion. It was interesting to read how different teachers handle a range of issues that are sometimes bound to come up in a classroom of multicultural students.

No comments:

Post a Comment