Thursday, September 23, 2010

School: The History of Education 1950-1980

Episode 3 was a very interesting video. I learned a lot about the politics that was surrounding public education at the time. There were many programs that were created out of these decades. Programs such as head start, and low cost college loans. Also, congress helped to pass the civil rights acts of 1964, part of which made segregation in schools illegal. There were many reforms that were established during this time in history, but one I have never really heard about or paid attention to was the Bilingual Education Act set in place for Mexican-Americans. During this time, Mexican-Americans were going through the same struggles that African-Americans went through just years before. Another interesting thing that the film discussed was the enactment of Title IX, which made discrimination based on sex for any educational purpose illegal. My group in class is going to study Title IX more at length, which I am very interested in doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment