Hammill begins his article by reviewing today's problems in the workplace between different generations. The workplace today is the first where four different generations are working side by side. For the most part, years ago, the bosses of companies and organizations were older then their employees. The younger employees learned to respect their elders and knew their role was beneath them. Today, the age range is much more mixed with some bosses being much younger than their employees. There is a big issue with generation gaps and communication since each different generation communicates in a different way. For this reason, everyone needs to understand where each generation comes from so that we can communicate better and understand more fully. It is important for managers and leaders in a workplace to get to know their employees and how they communicate so that they can run a successful company.
I really liked this article because it pointed out a big problem in the workplace today. Studying to be a teacher, I have seen teaching styles change drastically in the classroom in a very short amount of time. I know that when I start teaching with new innovative techniques, many of the older teachers will probably not approve. I have already heard stories of this happening. Throughout my schooling, I have experienced a mix of teaching styles from traditional to very innovative and there have been pros and cons with both. As a teacher, I am going to try to use a little bit of both because they can both be quite effective when done right. I believe this article was great in pointing out the problems with generation gaps and how employees and bosses of any workforce need to make an effort to mutually respect each other. By doing so, communication can be much easier and employees will understand each other better.
No comments:
Post a Comment